Back to Top
Events Calendar
Loading Events...
View full calendar

Sources of Financial Assistance

Parents and students are urged to contact public and private foundations, service clubs, religious organizations, etc., that may provide sources of outside scholarships or other financial assistance. Information is available from high-school guidance counselors, library reference desks, and the internet.

U.S. Government Financial Assistance

Alternative Loan Programs

State Resources

International Resources

Curtis Financial Assistance Award Sequence

U.S. Government financial assistance

Curtis students who are United States citizens or permanent residents of the United States and have a high school diploma may be eligible to receive U.S. Department of Education Title IV Higher Education Assistance (HEA) funding. Students must complete and file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to establish eligibility. The web site is Financial assistance in the form of Pell grants, Direct Stafford loans, and/or PLUS loans will be awarded to students on the basis of documented financial need. The Office of Student Financial Assistance is responsible for administering and certifying student eligibility for these aid programs. Not all Curtis programs are eligible for these federal programs.

The programs are as follows:

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program

Direct Loans are government sponsored low-interest loans to assist students and their parents in meeting educational expenses. Direct Student Loans are ad mistered by the Office of Student Assistance. 

Direct Loans may be certified as interest-subsidized or unsubsidized, based on federal eligibility requirements. All loan amounts are determined by the Office of Student Financial Assistance.

MAXIMUM BORROWING PER ACADEMIC YEAR (includes unsubsidized loan portion)

  • First-year undergraduates: $5,500 
  • Second-year students: $6,500
  • Third-through-fifth-year undergraduate students: $7,500
  • Graduate students: $20,500 per academic year

Eligibility for a Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is established by filing the FAFSA. Parents and graduate students who qualify may borrow funds up to the cost of attendance less other financial assistance. Parents and graduate students obtain these loans through the Direct Loan program. A credit check is performed as part of the eligibility for this loan. Contact Veronica McAuley for more information.

Pell Grant

Pell grants are undergraduate, need-based federal grants administered and certified through the Office of Student Financial Assistance, based on a standard federal needs-analysis formula. Students must file the FAFSA to establish eligibility.

Veterans Benefits

Contact your local Veterans Administration Office for information on grant and loan programs for veterans. Ms. McAuley can assist with certification requirements.


Veronica McAuley, director of student financial assistance
(215) 717-3188

Alternative loan programs

International and other students who are not eligible for Direct loans through the U.S. Department of Education may apply for a private loan. The Office of Student Financial Assistance can help students and families secure alternative loan funding. Curtis does not recommend any private lenders nor has a preferred lender list. Students who borrow through the Curtis loan program will be notified on their financial aid award notice.

State resources

Many states offer financial assistance to their residents. Contact the appropriate agency in your state for information and application procedures.

International resources

Many governments outside the United States provide financial assistance to their citizens who are studying abroad. International students should contact the ministry of higher education in their home country for information and applications.

Curtis financial assistance award sequence

1) Loans

Federal Direct or an alternative loan, as described above. 

2) On-campus employment

Students who require supplemental financial assistance for living expenses are expected to work and earn as much of the assistance as possible, artistic and academic schedules permitting. On-campus employment is the second level of funding awarded in a financial-assistance package. The amount of on-campus employment relates directly to the instrument and year of study and reflects our judgment that the hours of expected work are appropriate.

3) Lab orchestra and/or opera orchestra

The financial assistance package may include an award labeled “Lab Orchestra,” although the assignment may be to the lab orchestra and/or the opera orchestra. Note: Some students asked to play in lab or opera orchestras may not have been awarded this aid in a financial-assistance package. These students will be paid on a per-performance basis.

4) Supplemental grants, including housing and dining assistance

This award may be offered as a Lenfest Hall Residential Grant, Lenfest Hall Dining Grant, or as a direct grant payable to the student in monthly installments or other form of assistance. The exact type of aid will be shown on your financial aid award notice. Students offered grant assistance are required to take at least some loan funds in order to retain grant funding. Students offered grant assistance are generally required to work a minimum number of hours each week in order to retain funding. Grant recipients must demonstrate satisfactory artistic and academic progress each year.